Holy Monastery of Panagia Faneromeni Chiliomodi
n a pine-covered location, 3 km away from Chiliomodi, is the Monastery of Faneromeni, which is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.
Initially it was located further away, about 4 km from the current monastery, in a position with excellent view of the surrounding area and views to the Acrocorinth. From the old monastery the 13th century catholic is preserved with beautiful but worn frescoes, and the half-ruined buildings of the cells. In the revolution of 1821 the monastery had a significant material and spiritual contribution, it was a refuge of the civilian population of the area, and a place of prayer for great chiefs, such as Kolokotronis and Nikitaras. In 1854 the monastery was severely damaged by an earthquake, and in 1896 the fraternity of the monks moved to the new monastery, which had been founded in the 16th century and until then was part of the old one. At that time the iconostasis of the first temple and the miraculous icon of Panagia Vrefokratousa were moved to their current location. In 1949 the monastery was renovated and turned into a convent.
Monastery of Agios Dimitrios Stefani
The historic monastery, dedicated to the Great Martyr Saint Demetrius, is an ornament of Stefanios. The exact date of its establishment has not been determined.
The original building of the Monastery with the four-sided shape, consisted of a small inner courtyard around which the warehouses and cells were developed on two floors, while on the east side was the catholic church of the monastery. It is even said that there was a secret school during the Turkish occupation.
During its operation the monastery went through many adventures and its history has been linked to the fate of the wider area. According to a surviving document, the monastery helped morally and financially the Greek revolution, which later paid off with its destruction by the Turks.
Important documents of the Monastery are preserved and are kept today in the Ecclesiastical Museum of Corinth and are a historical treasure, as they are the only manuscripts of the area that refer to the Turkish occupation and give a clear picture of the life of the people at that time.
Monastery of the Holy Cross at Mapsos
North of the village of Mapsos is the Holy Monastery of the Holy Cross. It is a relatively new nunnery with great intellectual and productive work. It was founded in 1989. The monastery is visible due to its size and by the E.O. Corinth-Tripoli. Access is only from the village of Mapsos.
It is noteworthy that the Monastery has a significant productive work of livestock products from its rich farm. Nun’s milk is also available on the shelves of the largest supermarket chain in the country and this is a success based solely on product quality.
Monastery Saint Patapios
The Monastery of St. Patapios (also Agios Patapios), is a monastery for women located 14km (22ft) from Loutraki, Greece at an elevation of some 700m (1120ft) on the Geraneai mountains. The monastery is within the jurisdiction of the Metropolis of Korinthos of the Church of Greece.
Holy Monastery of the Assumption of the Virgin Sofiko
It is located three kilometers from Sofiko, very close to the National Road Isthmia – Epidaurus and the abbess Lydia will welcome you with joy in this small monastery.
Anastasios Orlandos, a professor of Byzantine archeology who visited the area in 1933, believes that the current catholic church of the monastery was built in the 12th century and was built on an early Christian church, while materials from a large ancient Greek temple in Aphrodite were used for its construction. At the back of the monastery are the ruins of the temple and the ancient settlement.
It is a Byzantine cruciform roof with a dome. The frescoes date from the 12th century to 1558. The iconostasis was made in 1801. An important relic is the Holy Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos.
At a distance of 150m is the Church of Agia Paraskevi, dating from 1617, I belonged to the Monastery Cemetery, with a iconostasis painted in 1737, while important is a mural depicting the troll dance of young people.
Monastery of Agios Therapontos Galataki
The Holy Women’s Community Monastery of Agios Therapontos is the only monastery in Greece that honors the miraculous Holy Hieromartyr Therapontas, Bishop of Cyprus. With a glorious festival, the Monastery honors the memory of Agios Therapontos on May 14, while the protection of Our Lady is honored with the secondary festival of August 31 at the feast of the Holy Mother of God Zone.
The main masterpiece of the Elder and the brothers of the Monastery is the construction of its buildings based on Byzantine architectural forms and the use of materials processed with authentic traditional techniques.
Monastery of Agios Georgios Feneos
The Monastery of Agios Georgios Feneos is located in the forests of Helmos Mountain at 1500 meters. The monastery offers a wonderful view of the artificial lake Doxa and the surrounding area. The monastery was built at the end of the 17th century. The old monastery was located just under 2 km away.A small church still exists at the old site. The Monastery of Agios Georgios Feneos is three storeys and an indoor court where there is a domed basilica that is decorated with Cretan School religious paintings by Panagiotis from Ioannina. The church also houses icons of saints and a library. Around the monastery you will see two and three-storey buildings that are monk’s quarters.
Church of the Virgin on the Rock
The Church of the Virgin on the Rock is located on the rocks above Tarsos Village. It is one of the most unique monuments in Corinth. The temple was built during the 14th century. It is always open to visitors. You will not only admire the church itself, but the views of Ziria Mountain. Above the monastery there is the Cave of the Virgin on Rock. It is an ancient hermitage that is dedicated to Virgin Mary.